With the cold weather creeping in on the east coast, the search for comfort food begins. We all know the best comfort is something simple and happens at home. In out attempt to not leave the apartment (and catch up on Walking Dead), we created a super easy, vegan version of those tasty potatoes from that popular Mexican fast food place, Taco Bell.
“Cheesy” Fiesta Potatoes
5 Potatoes (or enough to fill a 12 inch pan) cut
1 Bag Go Veggie! Mexican Style Shreds
2 Cloves Garlic chopped
1/4 cup Olive Oil
1 tbsp Salt
½ tbsp Pepper
1 tbsp Paprika optional
Olive Oil Cooking Spray
1 tbsp Tofutti Better Than Sour Cream
1 tbsp salsa
- Skin and cut potatoes into quarter sized pieces, all as close to the same size as possible.
- Spray 12 inch pan with cooking spray.
- Add potatoes to pan with olive oil, salt, pepper and paprika and cook on medium heat, moving potatoes (shaking the pan, turning) every 10 minutes.
- When potatoes have browned, add garlic and cook on low for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle cheese over potatoes. Side note: I called for a whole bag of cheese. I did not use a whole bag of cheese. This is a use your discretion step as some people like their stuff cheesier. I used enough to generously cover the entire pan of potatoes.
- Add a small amount of water around perimeter of the man and quickly cover. The steam from the water hitting the pan allows the cheese to melt ever so perfectly.
- In 1 minute, uncover the heavenly cheesed potatoes, remove from heat and serve with a dollop of sour cream and salsa (and chopped scallions).